Anyone do a muffler delete (straight pipe) and x pipe

Open SCC Discussions
Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:55 pm

I've been watching some youtube video of removing my mufflers and doing straight pipe and adding a x pipe on my 2014 Camaro SS. I think I would keeps the cats. Not sure if it would affect the warranty. Has anyone done this? I think they sound really good and has to be cheaper than doing a full muffler system.

Here is a couple of videos that I found:

Thanks,
Robert

Robert.Evenson

Re: Anyone do a muffler delete (straight pipe) and x pipe

Post by Robert.Evenson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Anyone knows a good muffler shop? I got a quote from economy muffler and Midas ranging from 250-300 for just a muffler delete. Nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dion.Rentos

Post by Dion.Rentos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:19 pm

I go to the meineke on wickham north of 192 and W nasa

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:31 am

Thanks. I will stop by tomorrow and check them out.

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:36 am

Hey there, I basically have a muffler delete and xpipe on my car, but also with no cats and I have long tube headers. I have the Pypes Performance " Pype Bomb" axle back on there, which consists of 2 - 4.5 inch resonated tips, the xpipe is the magnaflow unresonated one..

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Thanks. I ended up checking out Meineke today. I'm dropping my car off in the morning. The manager Dustin seemed to really know what he was talking about. They are going to remove the resonators and mufflers. Then just do straight pipe all the way back and put the tips back on the end. I'm keeping my cats on due to the warranty. Once the warranty is up, I'll look at doing the headers, etc. Might add the axle back on a little later.

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Hey there, I see you are taking out the resonators, is this an L99 vehicle ?? If so or even an LS3 car you need to put either an xpipe of an hpipe in there where the resonators started to balance out the exhaust pulses on both sides. I have read about these stock systems on these Camaros and that is necessary for good performance with these engines. The L99, auto tranny has an h crossover in the resonator and the LS3, stick tranny has an h crossover just before the small resonators also. You need something for smooth flow and balance to make it run smoothly, so I have read, not just true duals from front to back without a crossover of any kind.Hope this helps..Good luck..

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 pm

Thanks, I was leaning towards the x pipe or h pipe. All the videos mentioned the x pipe. But, he pretty much talked me out of it. But, said he could do it. I'm assuming he would make the h pipe or x pipe himself. Which one do you think would be better? I think its just $40 more to do it. I have the 2014 Camaro 2SS with automatic.

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:28 am

Mpd659 wrote:Thanks, I was leaning towards the x pipe or h pipe. All the videos mentioned the x pipe. But, he pretty much talked me out of it. But, said he could do it. I'm assuming he would make the h pipe or x pipe himself. Which one do you think would be better? I think its just $40 more to do it. I have the 2014 Camaro 2SS with automatic.
Good morning, if I were you I would do the h-pipe on your car since you are taking out the resonator and keeping the cats with no mufflers. The x-pipe would sound raspy without longtubes and some sort of resonator to cut it down. I have 4.5 inch 16 inch long resonated tips, so it is ok, the h will give you the low growling tone that is cool on the musle cars. Good luck...

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks. Will do.

Dion.Rentos

Post by Dion.Rentos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:26 am

Good stuff! Thanks Wayne!

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:26 am

Hey Thanks Dion, my pleasure to share what I know and have heard and dealt with to help our members so they don't have to "guess" on what they need to do to get what they desire.. Just me...Enjoy... :dance:

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate the input. It's a very hard decision. I watched several videos last night and read up on both. I ended up going with the h pipe. I think it turned out good. ImageImageImageImageImage

Dion.Rentos

Post by Dion.Rentos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:41 pm

How does it sound? :-)

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Man that looks pretty good ! I hope you got the sound you were looking for. The only thing that will bother you now that you can really hear it,, is the AFM kicking in and out as you drive in sport mode or drive mode. There is a trick to disable it while you are driving so it won't bother you.Enabled it sounds like a bunch of bumble bees in a can buzzing around and I had mine tuned out when I had the long tubes installed. The h-pipe looks great that they did and as I have stated, will give you a deeper tonethan the x would without the rasp on the otherwise stock system. Looking good my man !!

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:15 pm

I like it. I don't have a sport mode or drive mode. I just have a competitive mode when I hit the traction control button 2 times. I have the automatic 2SS. Does the dash show when the AFM kicks in? I haven't seen it. Also, did you have any issues with remote start after the install? Mine won't always start now. I can start it by remote, then turn it off and try to start it again and the lights will flash, but the car won't start. I checked the normal hood, trunk, doors and gas cap. I haven't seen the check engine light come on yet while I drive. I got to look at it more over the next few days.

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 pm

It sounds good. I will wake up my neighbors every time I start it. Lol

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Oh, I think I lost maybe 50 lbs total. The two mufflers were pretty heavy, plus the resonator. I'm going to have to try to put them on a scale at some point.

CRF8

Post by CRF8 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:10 am

Mpd, yes you have a sport or drive mode. The auto gearshift selects them. Allegedly the car starts in 2nd gear in DRIVE. Moving one notch back puts you in sport and an S comes up in the dash display. Unrelated to the traction control button. Dash doesn't show AFM, I had it tuned out anyway.
My SCC Garage
CRF8 FLORIDA
2014 Camaro 2SS (RS) red rock metallic;
named "Waste of Money" by the wife;
93 tune, front strut brace, window tint, Lloyd's trunk mat & org,
dome & trunk LED's, fade gill stripes, RotoFab air filter..

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:16 am

Very cool. I didn't know that at all. I thought it meant Manual mode and I had to use the paddle shifters. I just looked it up on camaro5's and read up on it. I love all the support people give in the club. I always thought I knew a lot about my car, but seams to always be something new.

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:01 am

Yep as stated above by CFR, there different drive modes as selected on the console shifter. I have the 1SS so I don't have the auto start, couldn't tell you about that issue, the exhaust change SHOULD NOT have affected that. My car when in drive or sport mode will start off from a stop in 1st gear and automatically shift up and down through the gears, when in sport mode and you tap1of the shift buttons, it will put it in manual mode and the car can be driven as a stick car without the clutch, much fun!! When coming to a stop in manual mode you can downshift if you wish, it sounds cool as the computer will revmatch the tranny to the engine speed as an F1 car does, or let the computer downshift for you. At this point when you start off in manual the tranny WILL START OF IN 2ND, unless you tap the downshift button and put it in 1st. Good burnout time..lol in this mode accelerating YOU MUST upshift as the computer WILL NOT do it as it is in manual mode, awaiting driver input from you. I drive my car ALOT in this mode cause it is fun, AND sounds awesome..
To disable the AFM while cruising so you can't hear it, just tap the downshift button when in sportmode then tap the upshift button to put it back in 6th gear, the AFM will then be disabled until you hold the upshift button in for 3 seconds which will put the tranny back in sport mode. When cruising I always drive in sport mode, the tranny shifts more aggressively for passing and such.

Hope this clears up some stuff for you as these cars are a BLAST TO DRIVE!!!! Enjoy..Hope to meet up with you sometime as I am always out driving around on the weekends having fun..

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks 1JEWLDSSRS. Yea, we need to meet up. If not before, I will be at the meet and great in Viera next month. I pretty much have every other weekend off. I'm not going to put my car in the show at Disney next weekend, but may drive up to check it out.

1JEWLDSSRS

Post by 1JEWLDSSRS » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Mpd659 wrote:Thanks 1JEWLDSSRS. Yea, we need to meet up. If not before, I will be at the meet and great in Viera next month. I pretty much have every other weekend off. I'm not going to put my car in the show at Disney next weekend, but may drive up to check it out.

Hey there, anytime you want, give me a call @ 321-626-0735, if I don't answer just leave me a message and I will call ya back and we can meet up and I will take you for a ride in my Camaro and show you some of the ways you can drive these beasts.. lol..Enjoy !!! :D

Robert.Evenson

Post by Robert.Evenson » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Will do. Thanks.